The Legal and Legislative Affairs Committee is concerned with examining the compatibility of national legislation and laws with international charters and agreements concerned with human rights and studying the international agreements that can be joined. It undertakes the following:
1. Participation with the competent authorities and entities in developing a national action plan for the promotion and protection of human rights in the country, or any plans concerned with competence, and suggesting a mechanism for its implementation.
2. Expressing an opinion and submitting proposals, recommendations, and advice to the competent authorities and entities with regard to legislation, laws, regulations, and decisions concerned with the promotion and protection of human rights, and following them up in cooperation with other committees according to competence.
3. Following up on achieving the objectives included in international charters, covenants, and agreements related to the field of competence to which the country is a party.
4. Submitting suggestions to the competent authorities about the appropriateness of legislation and laws with international charters, covenants, and agreements on human rights to which the country is a party, and following up on them in cooperation with other committees according to competence.
5. Presenting proposals and recommendations to join international and regional conventions on human rights in coordination with the relevant committees.
6. Expressing an opinion on the national reports submitted by the country to international organisations concerned with issues of competence, in coordination with the International Relations and Non-Governmental Organisations Committee.
7. Expressing an opinion on the reservations made by the country in some texts of the agreements to which it had previously acceded, in coordination with all the relevant committees.
8. Contributing to the preparation of the annual report submitted by the NHRI on the human rights situation in the country.
9. Follow up and coordinate with the International Relations and Non- Governmental Organisations Committee to respond to the observations received by the country from international organisations in the field of competence.
10. Participation with the Complaints, Monitoring, and Field Visits Committee in the procedures concerned with complaints, and monitoring of violations or abuses, in the field of competence.
11. Participation in local events, and regional and international forums concerned with the field of competence.
12. Any other competencies referred to the committee by the chairperson, deputy chairperson, or board members.